Tonight I came to my last ever Souled Out. If I ever end up coming back to FACC from NW Church after my 3 month trial period is over, I made a promise that I will never be a part of Souled Out again. I am just too old, and a lot of memebers there are also too old or getting to that point where they should leave. But we got ready for Youth Sunday by creating some videos to invite people to SOYS. That was pretty much the night in general.
During that time however I got to have some friendly debate with Jason about the future of Souled Out. I explained that as part of the people that technically should not be a part of Souled Out in the first place (including Jason, Ian, Twins, Errol, Jorge, and soon to be Joseph, and Janina), we should be taking time out to train the younger students (Alyssa, Kenneth, Nathan, etc.) on how to become leaders. This is something that has eluded them in the past.
The reason why I expressed that is because I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that if for some reason all of the older gen left Souled Out at the same time, the younger gen would be more lost than a mouse looking for cheese in a lab maze. It's something that I don't want to happen even though I'm not a part of this church after April, but eventually the older gen must leave. It is unhealthy for them to stay with Souled Out. Look at the Twins. I mean, they're playing Yu-Gi-Oh! with 12 year old 6th graders and middle schoolers at the age of 19, for crying out loud. And Jason should be stepping away from Souled Out and focusing on his Young Adult Ministry, something I definitely applaud for him doing in the past, but he has since failed to keep it up. Ian is 24, enough said.
I also got to thinking, if Souled Out lost its older gen, we would probably be down to less than 6 people left in the group. Currently it's already at an all time low in attendance and with the mind set of Filipinos and their introverted methods of life, there is virtually no way that the younger gen would be able to recover their numbers.
Which brings me to my point: After this Youth Sunday, do away with it. Obviously you can see that virtually no one is interested in doing it already. Think about it, Jason and myself have basically created Youth Sunday from scratch by ourselves for the past 3-4 Youth Sundays. No one else is offering a hand in it. So just get rid of it. There is only so much that Frankie can do with 6 people. You've already lost the worship team and many of the people that actually take the name of Souled Out seriously.
Get rid of SOYS. Just for now. I say wait for the numbers of people to recover and discover hidden talents in the kids these days that you could use in the future. If a kid is tastefully creative, put him on the creative team. If someone can play an instrument, put him on the worship team. If they tithe, put them on the offering team. Heck if you wanna keep it, only do it once a year instead of twice so you'd have 11 months to prepare for it. Use the 11 months to prepare for it so it doesn't seem like some half assed attempt at making a worship service. Rome wasn't built in a day, you know.
Give it a rest Souled Out. Obviously you're sick of it and I can tell.
And for old times' sake, thanks for the memories, Souled Out. I just wish I had a picture to show them.
Psalm 98:4,
Kuya Billy
Sunday, April 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment